Up five in two-up

Sitting on the sofa on a drizzly (albeit sunny) Saturday afternoon, doing some reading and taking care of a few chores; laundry among them, which is made all the easier by an in-unit washer AND DRYER!!!!

This week was interesting, with a federal holiday falling on Wednesday. After working at the Uni on Tuesday, it was odd to have a day off in the middle of the week.

As I had mentioned previously, the day off was for Anzac Daythe Australian equivalent of Memorial Daywhich falls on anniversary of the landing of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps at Gallipoli during WWI. The date is marked with dawn services across the country, as well as in Gallipoli.

The rest of the day is spent by many Australians at the local RSL (Retired Service League club) or a hotel/pub/bar, drinking and playing a game called two-up. While the game has a few nuances, it is more or less heads-or-tails, played with two (or three) coins.

Three pennies, (from before decimalisation, used because of their size and weight) with tails identified with a big white "x", arranged on the paddle, used by the "spinner." Also, beer brewed by a former Prime Minister, because that's totally normal in Australia.

Oh, and it is also illegal to play it any other day of the year. Really.

Unregulated gambling, coupled with the pandemonium that ensues with 50-50 odds, actually meant that the game was completely illegal for many, many years. In New South Wales, the state Sydney is in, it was outlawed until 1989. However, the story goes that the game was played by service members in the trenches during WWI, so as a way of remembrance, it is now allowed on Anzac Day.

In the morning, I went on a run around the city, seeing preparations for the short parade that happens around 11:00. When I got back, my flatmate and some friends invited me to come along to a hotel for two-up over in Darlinghurst, and I figured I should go for the experience.

While I am no gambler, it turned out to be a phenomenal experience, and I am so glad I went! The game was played on the rooftop of the century-old hotel, providing views of the city. The atmosphere was lively all afternoon, with about 70 or so people coming and going as the game was played over the course of a few hours.

Bets being placed before the spin.

A guy in a Bob Hawke (former Prime Minister, turned beer brewer) mask serving as the spinner.

A group of naval service members were there for a while, adding to the experience. Throughout the rounds, dozens of people took turns being "spinner" (the person who throws the coins) for three tosses. Meanwhile, there was frenetic (and collegial) betting going on between everyone before each throw. Those wanting heads held money, between $5 and $20, up to their heads. They then found someone willing to take the bet.


One of the naval officers getting in on the spinning.
Submariners getting in on the betting action.

"Heads" held the money during the toss, and kept it if the majority of coins landed on heads (we played with three, so there would always be a result). If tails won, heads would give all the money to the person who bet on tails.

Everyone enjoyed the food, beer, sunshine, and gambling, and I even bet a few times. I stopped while I was ahead, after winning two rounds and losing one, which was enough excitement for me. Later in the afternoon, I got the chance to be the spinner, so I can now check that off my list of Australian experiences!

Serving as spinner, coins mid-air.

All in, it made for a really great day, with lots of money flying around and lots of (cheerful) yelling. I don't plan to get into gambling anytime soon, but it was an experience I won't soon forget!

The rest of the week was back to normal, with plenty to do at the office. I have plans this evening with friends to catch up over dinner, and tomorrow will get some more work done. So it goes!

Comments

Popular Posts