A Laundry List

As is the norm, I should be doing something else right now, so instead I am procrastinating by writing this post...  Odd that I am procrastinating from writing (an article - in January I joined the staff of ArtsATL as their architecture critic) by writing.

Things are progressing at (a slow) pace for my trip - I can't believe that in two weeks I will be making final preparations for my departure.  In the mean time, I have plenty to keep me busy before then, both trip related and otherwise.  Firstly, I need to actually create the presentation I am giving down in Auckland.  But before I can tackle that deadline (which seems worlds away), I have to study quite a bit for an exam (one of my seven AREs), edit an article and write two more, and deal with that daily occurrence called work.  I don't think I will touch the presentation until the week I am leaving. Funny how I've been out of school for a year and yet, somehow, things don't change (exams, writing, procrastinating, etc.).

The good news is, things are pretty booked.

The rough itinerary I provided in the last post is pretty accurate, though I suppose I will fill it out a bit:

I depart Atlanta for Auckland (via Los Angeles) on the evening of Monday, June 30.  I'll arrive in Auckland two days later, on Wednesday, July 2 at some ungodly early hour.  The conference (the annual meeting of the Society of Architectural Historians of Australia and New Zealand - SAHANZ) begins that day and concludes Saturday, July 5.

That evening, I will depart to fly to the (small) city of Launceston, Tasmania (via Melboure, Aus) to meet up with a friend.  I will spend the next six days traversing the island state of Tasmania, hitting places like Freycinet, Cradle Mountain, and Port Arthur.  Ultimately, we will end up in Hobart, from where I will depart on Friday, July 11, to head to Sydney!

I will spend the weekend (my birthday weekend, no less) visiting friends and generally having a fantastic time. I have a birthday party planned for Sunday with Janene's family, with whom I have had my birthday for the past two years. While Janene will be in the UK (studying abroad - she claims my adventure inspired her), she has ensured me that her daughter has been given strict orders to make a pavlova.  I cannot contain my excitement.

Before I can go have my fun, I do have to do things like sort out my cell phone for service over there, get my VISA, reserve a car for Tasmania, and get in touch with a few Sydney people. That is, on top of my other Atlanta-based obligations.

Anyways, that is a bit more info on this upcoming journey.  I would also like to point out that this is the second anniversary of my 100th post on the blog, as well as the first anniversary of me actually beginning to pack for the trip I took last year, which I began early in the morning of June 16.  The fun things I learn each night when I read the book of my travels that I created from the blog...

Comments

Popular Posts