An anniversary

While I know this is my first post in two months, I couldn't resist marking a pretty important occasion...

Seven years ago today, I arrived in Sydney for the first time. The day was a whirlwind, with adventures on Bondi Beach, dinner in Chinatown, and meeting a ton of people. I never could have guessed that seven years later I would call Sydney home and still be good friends with people I met through mutual friends on that first day.

It's exciting to look back on the adventures I have had around the country. While my time in 2012, just more than five months, was filled with exploration to many places in Australia, and of course all over Sydney, returning in the subsequent years, followed up by actually moving here, has allowed me to see so much more. As it stands, I have been to six of the eight states and territories of Australia. I will hit the last two this year (more on that as those trips get closer), though I will have one more capital to hit.

I'm coming up on a year of being back here for work and my PhD. While it was easy to return in some ways, it has taken time to get settled into my routine. Back at the beginning of the year I moved into a new place, not too far from where I was living in Chippendale, but with a bit more space and amenity. It turned out to be a really great choice, and the new apartment has really allowed me to feel more settled, get things on the wall, and have a place to come "home" to at the end of the day.

The new place sits at the edge of Darling Harbour, looking out toward the city skyline. In addition to the skyline views from the massive terrace (which I have added a barbeque to), the weekly fireworks at Darling Harbour are also a nice perk.

The daytime view.

The nighttime view.

The fireworks view.


While I've been AWOL, I've also gotten out of town a few times, and shown plenty of visitors around. Research took me to Canberra for a few days, and I spent a long weekend up at Byron Bay, which got me to some pretty spectacular beaches, the easternmost point in mainland Australia, to the top of a century-old lighthouse, and up to the top of Mt. Warning.

Looking from the front of the Parliament Building to the Old Parliament House.

Looking toward the Byron Lighthouse.

The view from the top of the lighthouse. 

On the beach in Byron Bay.

Closer to home, I did lots of exploring with my friends Chris and Catherine who spent a week in the city around New Years. A friend of mine came down from Brisbane for a weekend of sport around the Super Bowl and took me to my first Cricket Match at the Sydney Cricket Ground, which was a lot of fun.

Who knew cricket was so exciting?

With that being said, regarding the lack of posting, I started this blog to chronicle my journeys back in 2012 to a new, exciting place. While Sydney is still very exciting, and I get up to a lot of fun things, it has become the norm for me, home. Therefore, I've allowed the blog to trail off as I don't think you really want to hear about work, writing, and the occasional bush walk.

But, with some fun new travel plans materialising for the year, when I travel to new places in the future, I'll be sure to keep everyone updated! Until then, take my silence as a sign that things are going very well, professional, academically, and otherwise.

Comments

Popular Posts