Meetings All Night

I'm closing in on a week before my departure and there's a lot to do. So far, though, I'm not all that overwhelmed. I know everything that needs to get done will; and regardless of what doesn't get done, I will be on a plane come March 31. Or 31 March, if I'm being Australian about it.

Packing and prepping are in full swing, and I have been moving things that need to be moved back to my parents' house (thanks mom and dad!). Overall, I'm feeling pretty optimistic about progress so far, though with my car and condo still in a bit of flux, there's a lot of variables.

Between packing and wrapping up work (I am staying on with Curbed Atlanta through my last day in the city, so that means a few articles a day), I have had quite a few "farewell" events with friends, colleagues, and different organizations I am involved with. The sheer number of eventsI have double-booked myself three nights this weekis a reminder of all the wonderful experiences I have had in the city over the last few years. Of course, it is bittersweet to leave so many wonderful people, but I am very excited to dive into new, incredible experiences!

Now, to the title of the post...

As I am prepping for my arrival, my calendar (or "diary," if I want to be Australian) for my first two weeks in Sydney is quickly filling up. There are meetings, orientations, and people to catch up with. And what's so funny about it all, as I put it in my calendar, is that my days start at around 7:00 p.m. Eastern Time and run until three or four in the morning. Thank goodness for digital calendars that do all the conversion for you!

Further complicating the time conundrum of scheduling meetings a world away is the time change. A few weeks back, when the US "sprang" forward, Atlanta was 16 hours behind Sydney. Now, we are 15 hours behind. And the day before I arrive, Australia will "fall" back, making the difference just 14 hours the day of my arrival.

Once I am settled over there, it won't matter all that much, but I will be sure to update people as time fluxes throughout the year(s).

But, for now, I'm on Eastern Time. And it's packing time.

Comments

Popular Posts